Principal Software Engineer
Freetrade is a next-generation investment tech startup, bringing free stock investing to the UK and Europe for the first time ever. We’ve built a beautiful investing app to trade in real shares, with zero commissions or fees in a fluid, mobile-first experience.
Our mission is to build a totally new culture around investing: innovative, customer-first and universally accessible. With over £4m in funding so far and as the most overfunded company ever on Crowdcube, we're a growing team poised to disrupt the £1.2 trillion UK retail investments market. And that's just the start.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join our small, but growing product-led engineering team. You’ll be one of the first engineers to join at this level, and you’ll evolve our architecture and take ownership of the design and development of core features. Plus, you’ll help us raise the bar for best practices, help us hire a world-class team with a brilliant engineering culture.
Using GCP's serverless offerings like Firebase, Cloud Composer & Stackdriver, we're able to build a reliable and performant platform with a small team. We use the real-time database, cloud functions and the other features like pub/sub to provide a frictionless investment platform. We're language-agnostic, as we're focused on finding amazing software engineers who want to build something exciting with us.
In your first twelve months at Freetrade, you will:
- Evolve our technical architecture to scale with our rapidly growing customer community.
- Develop a deep understanding of our entire stack and the processes and technologies relevant to our fintech space.
- Be capable of supporting the product from end to end.
- Raise the bar for our entire engineering team through best practices, automation, documentation, and hiring.
- Level up our operational excellence, and drive our team to maintain it, so that common regressions are root caused.
- Use your understanding of industry trends to identify potential engineering optimisations for the business.
- Our work culture prioritises speed, care and effectiveness and you’ll have the freedom to pursue your own ideas and solutions.
- £75,000 to £90,000, combined with a stake in the company you’re building. We benchmark stock options to US tech companies, not Europe, so your equity will be truly meaningful.
- Our office is in a beautiful co-working space in Spitalfields. There’s an abundance of health, wellness and cultural events happening every day, and buzzy Brick Lane is just a street away.
- Flexible working arrangements and an understanding of what it means to be a working parent.
- Top-end health insurance for you and your family, life insurance, enhanced pension, enhanced parental leave, and more!
- MacBook Pro, new phone, snazzy headphones... whatever tools you need.
- Opportunity to have a huge impact on our product while fast-tracking your knowledge, responsibility and skills in a high growth tech startup.
- Frequent team lunches in a thriving food scene, plus team away days in cool locations.
We're very open about what we're working on, and the best places to learn more are our buzzing community forum and our blog.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse and representative team. Whatever your race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability - we want to hear from you.